June 23, 2017
Doesn’t it feel good when we help another person? A friend visited from Cuba and lamented on the condition of her hair. I took her hand. “Look, you don’t need to worry about fixing your hair,” I said. “We’ll go shopping and get you a lovely wig.”
She hugged me. “In Cuba, we could never afford a haircut, much less a wig…thank you!”
We walked in the store and she chose one to match her natural hair color. As she stood before the mirror, she put it on. Her gasps of delight were heard all through the store. “I don’t want to take it off, “she said. “I look so pretty.”
Then weeks later she wrote me from Cuba. “I’m sorry. I can’t wear the wig because the weather is so very hot here. I put it away in my drawer.”
Did she say she put the gift I gave her in a drawer? She sure did. And that’s exactly what the enemy (the devil) wants you and I to do. He wants us to –put God’s gifts in the drawer of our emotions.
When and how does he do that? He does it each time we face adversity, struggles, conflict, or bad news. He does it by distracting us so we forget God’s gifts.
And the gifts are many. Each one is suited for the situation we face. Each gift is prepared with the answer we need. Each is molded to fit the longing in our heart.
And when we receive them, unwrap them and use them, here are seven results:
- When unfair accusations create wounds, we’re protected as we say, I am free from any charge against me.” (Romans 8:31-34)
- When life seems uncertain and shaky, I have access to God through the Holy Spirit.” (Ephesians 2:18)
- No painful experience is a match to God’s love. I cannot be separated from the love of God.” (Romans 8:35-39)
- The world’s evil cannot affect me because I am established, anointed, sealed by God. (2 Corinthians 1:21-22)
- When I feel confused about all that’s going on, I remember that all things work together for good. (Romans 8:28)
- When feeling empty and unable to give, my spirit is revived because I have been chosen and appointed to bear fruit. (John 15:16)
- When no one listens or has any advice, I may approach God with freedom and confidence. (Ephesians 3:12)
Ready to pull out those gifts from the drawer of your heart? They’re yours. They’re ready to be used. They’re offering the power to ease the pain. To deliver you from strongholds. To bring peace to turmoil. And to erase fear.
Father, when life becomes so very difficult, help me to open my heart and receive these gifts. In Jesus’ name, amen.
Which of God’s gifts will you unwrap today?
Video sneak peek: (fun, family traditions) https://youtu.be/11HB26idG-8
Looking for a speaker for your upcoming event? A great speaker makes the difference between a so-so event and one that shines with impact. I invite you to view one of my two-minute videos HERE.
What an honor it would be for me to delight those who attend your women’s gatherings, retreats, church congregation or corporate events. Here are some of the TOPICS you can choose from.
Please share: Feel free to share Janet’s posts with your friends.
Comments: I welcome your thoughts; please consider leaving a comment. Just look for the word REPLY at the end of the post after the list of keywords.